Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sunday School

I have been sitting here thinking about Sunday School...

As you know, I have volunteered to co-teach 1st and 2nd graders starting in September.  Our Curriculum has been ordered and I'm hoping it will be here soon so I can dive into it.  Our schedule is set in place...I'm on 2 weeks in a row, then off 2 weeks in a row.  But, knowing me, I'll probably study EVERY lesson in there.

Last Wednesday, I had a meeting with the Director of our Children's ministry and the other teacher that will be teaching with me.  The director showed us where all our supplies were at, asked us to check a few weeks in advance for any art supplies, in case we were low on supplies and she would order them.

We sat in our classroom and looked around.  The other teacher and I have been given the go ahead to do as we want with the room (posters on the walls, charts, extra incentives above and beyond the "rations" that are given for knowing your Bible verse and bringing your Bible, etc.).   I think she and I (I'll have to double check with her) are going to do a chart to help those children with their memory verses.  We both have boys in that class, so we have our own ideas of what we would like to see as parents of children in the class.

Rations...these are little slips of paper that are given to the elementary students.  Children get 5 rations for knowing their memory verse for the week, 1 for coming to Sunday School, and 1 for bringing their bible to class.  They can also earn more for knowing all the books of the bible (I think it's 40 for the OT and 30 for the NT).  Once a quarter, they open up a store so that the children can use their rations to purchase toys, candy, etc.

The other teacher and I discussed about giving the parents a list of all the memory verses that we will be going over for the fall curriculum at the beginning of September, but then also having that particular week's verse written out on their paper for them to take home with them and learn.  I do a lot of graphic stuff for a message board I'm a member of, so I have a bunch of graphics that I will probably work into our little slips for our memory verses.  What I'll do is probably get them all typed out week by week with graphics when we get our books and then we will have each verse ready for each week...we'd just have to copy them.

The other teacher has a tape of a song that goes over the books of the bible, so we are going to incorporate that into our lessons so that the children will learn the books of the bible.

I would love to do some special things for these children, but I don't know what.  I feel like there's something I NEED to do, but can't quite put my finger on what that is!

Do you have any suggestions and or ideas for us?  I'd love to hear how you do things in your Sunday Schools!

No comments: