Tuesday, June 10, 2008

VBS...Day 1

Ok, so I'm a day late, but wanted to get this down.

Sunday was such a long day!  I was at the church by 8:15 am to help the Children's Ministry Director make sure all the teachers were in place.  When I get to church, I usually park far away from the door to allow others to park close, not this week.  I parked right in front of the door...I had lots of items to unload from my car.

After I make sure everyone is in their class, I make my way to the sanctuary for 1st service.  I'm tired already, but know that I have a long day ahead of me.  Since my wonderful husband was running the sound board today, I had to find a place to sit by myself, so I see a wonderful man who had at one time been a minister and has this gifting of knowing what to say when you need to hear it...and seeing past your front.  Little did I know at the point I sat next to him that he was giving the message.  He looked at me and asked how I was doing (which was a familiar question that day).  I didn't hesitate and looked straight at him and said "I'm scared to death"...when I realized that had come from my mouth, I was shocked!  I was telling everyone who asked me that day that I was fine.  He looked at me and said it would work out fine, and to catch him between services so we could chat.

Wouldn't you know it, his sermon was on David and Gollith and how David faced his giant and how David was someone else's Hero.  He reminded everyone that we are someone else's Hero, you may not know who, but you are.  That hit me.  Something I needed that day at that moment in time.

I did catch him after service and told him that I was going to be ok...and VBS as going to be fine!

After making sure all the teachers were in 2nd service, I sat in the cafe and talked to a few people who needed me to answer questions for VBS.  I felt like I was the interviewer who was giving lots of interviews for a position.

After church, I had to deal with a HUGE set issue.  I hate confrontation, my stomach was churning, I had a huge headache.  I talked to the decorating crew, I talked to the VBS Worship team.  A decision was made...people were upset.

I then took my children to the grocery store (my husband rode his motorcycle to church, so he followed).  We got our groceries and came home so I could get some other things done for VBS.  Grab lunch and head back to church.

At around 2:30 pm, I showed back up at church to finish getting things set up and ready to go.  Can I say, I was in the ZONE!  I was belting out orders and giving directions to people like it was second nature.  I know it was God working through me because I've never considered myself a leader...I'm a follower!

VBS started and my main focus was getting the registration set up properly so we didn't have children just entering the sanctuary without registering.

I missed the opening, I was bummed about that, but I know she'll do the same thing on Thursday night (Family night).  I ran around the sanctuary talking to the crew leaders who didn't have a crew and instructed them to team up with a bigger crew to help them out.

Things ran smoothly Sunday night...we had 60 children (Elementary only)...with only a couple bumps in the road, but the only ones who noticed the bumps were the ones I had been working with.

We left the church a little after 9:30 pm.  I was exhausted.  I got home and went to bed right away!

No comments: