Friday, August 29, 2008

My Niece

My niece is 8 years old.  2 years ago, she was diagnosed with Juvinile Diabetes.

It's been a long hard road for their family these past 2 years.  They've had to learn how to count all the carbs that she consumes, adjust the insilin to help her body work properly. I've learned so much in the past 2 years as well.  My father has diabetes, his diabetes is different than my nieces'...this is something that seems the hardest for most people to understand.

They are working towards getting her put onto a pump, this is something that will help her out a lot.  I hope it happens for her soon...It would give her a little more freedom!  Side note:  My dad is working towards this goal as well!

Type I Diabetes (Juvenile Diabetes) - Type 1 Diabetes is a disorder in which the body does not produce insulin (a hormone that   aids in moving sugar from the blood to the cells).  This type of diabetes can be due to a   virus or autoimmune disorder in which the body does not recognize an organ as its own and attacks   it.  In this case the body attacks an organ known as the pancreas where insulin is   made.  This type of diabetes is usually diagnosed before age 40.

Type II Diabetes (Adult onset Diabetes) - Type 2 Diabetes occurs when insulin that the body produces is less efficient at moving sugar out of the bloodstream.  Some sugar is moved out of the blood, just not as effectively compared to a person with normal insulin efficiency.  High blood sugar is a result of this.  Type 2 Diabetes used to be thought of as the adult onset type of diabetes.  However, an alarming rate of children are now being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

This year, my whole family will be walking right along side her on October 4th to help raise money for a cure for diabetes.  Side Note:  If you are interested, in donating let me know, I'll get you the information you need.

I am so proud of her.  I was talking to my sister-in-law (her mom) and she told me how much money she has raised!  At $1000, she will be recognized...I can say she has past that amount!

Way to go "Kg1"!  You are doing GREAT!!

No comments: