Sunday, November 16, 2008

Servant of God

Are you a servant of God?  Do you serve in church in hopes someone will notice?  What exactly is a True servant?

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Colossians 3:23

A true servant shows selfless love towards others.  Being willing and available to meet the needs of those that need help; to see the needs that need to be met; to do it with enthusiasm and dedication.

So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.  1 Corinthians 15:58

Some observations that breaks my heart.  While I was at church today, I noticed how many empty positions there were.  We were lacking quite a few teachers this morning.  Yes, it's getting close to the Holiday season, so some people are traveling, however, as a servant of God, shouldn't there be someone willing to fill into those places that are in need?  I know God has called each of us into our own roles to help the church thrive, where are those willing to do their part?

I can tell you from experience, I am not called to work in the nursery - toddler room, however, when there is an need and I'm available, I will be there, why?  Because I know that in doing this, I am serving God.

Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.  Galatians 6:10



It was hard for me to see some parents missing out on the sermon today because their child's room was closed because there wasn't a teacher.  They could have put their child into another room, but their child wanted to be in the room he was used to.

I would be lieing if I said that hearing "Thank you for stepping up and doing this" or "What would I do without you" makes me feel good, but to be honest, that's not why I'm there.  I do what I do, because it's pleasing to God.

Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant. Galatians 1:10

How do you serve?  Do you step into some roles that you aren't comfortable with because you see a need and fill it temporarily?  Do you do it out of obedience to God or are you looking for some recognition?

No comments: