Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008 in Review

2008 has come and gone already.  It sure seemed to go by quickly...sometimes a little too quickly!

January

The year started out with me beginning to work on Power Lab VBS (Ah Ha!).  I was also homeschooling "M".  We were pretty on top of our schooling and things were going pretty smoothly at the time.  I was also beginning to work in the K-1 Sunday School class room at church.  That, wasn't going as smoothly as I had wished.

February

VBS started to consume my thoughts.  I was having dreams about not being ready, and just an overwhelming sense that I've bitten off more than I could chew.  AKA...I wasn't relying on God to help me, I was relying on my own strength to do it.

February also brought about "D" & "A"'s 3rd birthday as well as my 34th birthday.

"M" entered his first Science Fair and ended up with a Superior rating!  I was proud, but knew full well that if he had applied himself earlier in the month, but he decided to wait until the last minute to do it.  Then we hit a rough patch in our homeschooling...a bad one.  Causing me to question my ability to teach him not to mention my basic parenting skills.  But, through the Grace of God we got through it with help from some friends in our church.

March

March brought in a lot of sadness.  My grandmother's health began to fail drastically.  And a friend of mine lost her child in a horrible accident. My heart ached in ways I never knew it would.  Things in me shined though as well.  I didn't realize how "in tune" I was to other's sadness.  "M" had a meeting with the staff from his online school and things turned out so much better than I had originally anticipated.

April

In April, I took a blogging break...school slipped behind and I had to push "M" to get as much done as possible a day!  Spring seemed to bring out the worst in his schooling abilities and slowly we fell behind.

May

I won this Word Press blog...I'm ever so grateful to Lisa for hosting the giveaway that allowed me to win! :D The final push to get VBS was upon us.  VBS was scheduled for the 2nd week of June.  My grandmother passed away that month as well.

June

VBS week came and went without too much problems.  Yes, there were a few bumps in the road, but overall things turned out GREAT!  I was elated that things went as well as they did and relieved that it was all over with as well.

July

We celebrated M's 11th birthday in July along with Kevin and I's 14th wedding anniversary.  In between those 2 events, we threw my mom and dad a 60th Birthday/40th Wedding Anniversary party.  We were very impressed that we were able to pull it off!  Mom and dad had only suspected that we were planning on all going out to eat together, not that we would have all of their friends and family at a hall waiting for their arrival!  We even got one of their friends from High School to travel from Chicago to Ohio to celebrate with them as well!

We also got to see Extreme Makeover Home Edition in our town.  My mother drove down the night before to stay overnight and we headed out to the new house to watch the bus move.  That is a day that was HOT, but I wouldn't have missed for the world.  To see something like that is a once in a lifetime thing.  "M" still claims to have High-Fived Ty!

August

We went for our 1 and only camping trip of the year.  We had so much fun, and would love to go back to the Michigan Dunes again.  Our church also had a Worship Night.  Something changed in me that night and I have been forever changed!

September

School started right after Labor Day!  We decided to send "M" back to public school since things weren't working out the best for us at home.  We are happy to report that he is doing wonderful in the public school!

We celebrated "N"'s 8th birthday in September.  We also found out that an eight year old child, when given $20 in cash and not watched very closely at the grocery store (because mom and dad were busy ringing/bagging groceries), will spend the whole $20 on lottery tickets!  And before you ask...YES it's illegal for him to purchase them, but when they have a "vending machine" of lottery tickets just sitting over by the bubble gum machines, it's just calling for a child to play with it!  And he only won $2!

October

In October, Kevin and I started going to a new Bible Study.  I was elated that Kevin wanted to go to one since he has never really showed any interest in going before.

We also walked, for the first time, in the JDRF Walk for a Cure for my Niece.  We were so proud of her, she ended up getting 2 awards...one for the amount of money raised and the other for the T-Shirt design!

November

We celebrated Kevin's 38th birthday.  How?  Well, I went to a Arbone party and he watched football...now that's love!

We had our traditional weekend after Thanksgiving shopping adventure.  My parents' took "M", "N", "D", & "A" for the weekend (it ended up my parents had "D: & "A" and my sister had "M" & "N").  We always enjoy that weekend away from the boys.  It's nice to pretend we are childless...even if it's just for the weekend!  But we are always so excited when they return.

December

We spent most of the month either running from Christmas Program to Christmas Program or from Christmas to Christmas.  However this year it seemed to be a little less travel than usual.  We only spent 1 night up at my parent's house and we actually had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at home for the first time in a long time!

For 2009, I'm sure there will be new things that God shows us along the way, new challenges to overcome and new friends to meet, but I trust that God will be joining us along this journey and we will rest in the knowledge of Him.


No comments: