Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I was only 16...Part 1

I was only 16 when the doctors told me...
I guess I should go back and start from the beginning...
It was a Sunday, my nephew's dedication.  I was asked to be his God Mother.  How neat for a 16 year old to have a God Son!  It started out as an awesome day!
That evening, after his dedication, I decided to hang out with a friend of mine.  I had my license, she had her permit...I was going to be her license driver...we were going cruising!  I drove my little red Chevette out to her house and we got into her car and headed out.  Since curfew was at 9 (school night and all...), we came home in plenty of time for me to drive home.
I climbed back into my car and started home.  As I came into town, I slowed down...didn't want to get pulled over by a cop!  I noticed a car with it's headlights coming my way...it looked like it was over the center line, so I slowed down even more and pulled closer to the parked cars.  Little did I realize that the next few moments would define the rest of my life!
Seconds after slowing way down and pulling closer to those parked cars, I realized that this car was coming fast and it was in my lane!  There was no place for me to go!  My adrenaline kicked in and I grabbed a hold of the steering wheel ready to brace myself against this car that was coming fast.
A split second later, my car was mangled, and facing the left side of the road.  As I looked around, I saw the other car stopped a few yards past me.  The next thing I can remember was me trying to open my door.  It was stuck!  A lady (who happened to be the Chief of Police's daughter) approached my car and asked me if I was ok...still in a dazed, I said I thought so, she then asked if I would like her to call my parents (the benefits of growing up in a small town, everyone knows everyone and their parents).
I hear the sirens of the ambulance.  Then one of the ENT's came over and started talking to me (he happened to be a Sunday School teacher at the church I went to).  He put the brace around my neck and did his assessment from the door.  Told me not to move.
My parents showed up and were a bit shocked.  They had told me at a later date that they figured that I had hit a parked car or something...the scene they came up on was not what they had expected.  Dad came over to the car and started talking to me.  I could tell he desperately wanted to help them get me out of the car...but the ENT insisted that my dad NOT touch me (we were told later why).
Things from that night are still a bit fuzzy...so some of the above information may be a bit off, but for the most part, it is as accurate as I can remember.
To be continued...

No comments: