Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stay at home mom is a calling

After Kevin and I got married, we discussed children.  With knowing that I may never be able to have children due to an accident I had when I was 16, but we knew we would have at least 1 child, even if it was through adoption.  Before I got pregnant with "M", we talked about how we would want me to stay at home and raise our children.  That didn't happen right away.  After "M" was born, I went back to work and worked until we moved out of state (M was 14 months when we moved).
When my children were a bit younger than what they are now, I struggled with what my calling was.  Why am I here?  What is my purpose?
After some thinking and talking over with a few friends of mine, I have come to the conclusion...my purpose is to be a Stay at home mom.  That's what God has called me to do for a season (yes, that season is quickly coming to an end since my youngest ones are now 5).
Over the past few months, I have realized how involved in my children's lives and education that I have become.  I have also realized that I wouldn't be able to do half the things I have done with my boys if I were a working mom.
Please Note... Not everyone has the same calling.
When "M" forgets something at home, he has the opportunity to call me as soon as he gets to school and ask me to bring it to him.  That's something that may annoy me at first, but then I realize, not everyone is able to do that.  When "N" has a party at school, I'm able to go and help out (and thankfully, his teacher has allowed me to bring "D" and "A" with me as well).
Don't get me wrong, there are days that I think life would be so much easier if I worked outside the home, but that's not what God has called me to.

No comments: