Monday, October 19, 2009

The Road to a Kidney

Things aren't progressing the way I would have thought.  I had always thought that my dad would be getting a kidney by Christmas...but the looks of that are slim.
Dad's cousin was going through the testing to see if she was a match to give him a kidney.  All the preliminary testing showed up as a match, putting her into more and more testing.  Well, on the heart testing, they found blockage with her heart.  That puts a huge kink in the plans for her to donate a kidney to my dad.  However, I look at this as a blessing in disguise!  Had my dad's cousin not been getting tests done for a kidney donation, I'm not sure they would have seen the blockage in her heart.
My dad has been having some swelling in his legs.  So he went in on Friday to see if they would be able to get a stint put into the legs to help with the flow of blood.  After being at the hospital for some time, they were unable to do anything about his legs.  He has a very high percentage (not sure the exact number, my mom had said something like 90%, but I'm not positive) of blockage in both legs.  With my dad being diabetic, this isn't good.  He goes back on the 29th to the doctor to see what their options are now to get it fixed.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed and frustrated.  I know my dad really wants a kidney...like Yesterday...but for now he goes in to dialysis 3 times a week.  Dialysis is really taking a toll on my dad too.  He's usually extremely exhausted when he's done and there are days he's really sick from it as well.  I can only imagine what a number this is doing on my dad.  As for me, I feel bad...I feel helpless.  All I can do is pray, pray and pray some more.  I know God has my dad in his hands and He will give my dad a kidney when the time is right.  In the meantime, we learn to treasure each day.  Never missing a moment to tell my dad I love him and I care for him and I want him to do what's best.
If you are a follower of our journey, please continue to pray.  I am really trying to keep up here, but I know I've been slacking!

No comments: