Saturday, April 26, 2014

Words Have Power

Words have Power...



When I was younger, we recited this when someone was being mean...
Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me
Oh, but it wasn't true.  How those words cut to the bone.

Proverbs 18:21 says...
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Words have power, power to build up, and power to destroy.  They cause curses or blessings.  Tell a child over and over how smart they are and they begin to believe it.  The opposite is also true.




When I was in the 8th grade, we took a test where the results came back that I wasn't smart enough to take college prep courses.  I believed it and didn't take college prep courses.  The first time I walked into my basic math class, the teacher asked me what I was doing in that class, after telling her about what the test said, she told me that I was smart enough and to get signed up and into Algebra the first point that I can.  I did so, and it made me feel so smart that my math teacher told me that I was smart enough.

There have been studies done that music and words together and you can remember things better.  How many songs from your childhood/teenage years can you still remember?  I realize that it's usually the ones that aren't very good that I can recite almost word for word!

Psalm 1:2 says...
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
So, what does it mean to meditate?
  1. Christian meditation is a form of prayer in which a structured attempt is made to become aware of and reflect upon the revelations of God. The word meditation comes from the Latin word meditārī, which has a range of meanings including to reflect on, to study and to practice.
So God asks us to meditate on His word.  When you recite a verse over and over you begin to memorize the verse.  Having verses memorized gets them deep down into your heart.  This is how I memorize verses, by repeating them over and over, until I know them by heart.

When I was younger, I had a record (yes, I said record) that had a couple kids saying the alphabet backwards, well, I listened to that over and over again.  I can still recite the alphabet backwards.  (It's actually won me an award before)

I memorize things is by hearing them repeated back to me over and over.  It's another way I learn, along with repeating things to myself, I repeat them out loud so I can hear them as well as say them.  It helps enforce what I am learning.




I have some learning to do...I believe this post was meant for me...I have been trying to memorize verses and learn more scripture, I'm not where I want to be, I'm still learning how to get there.  I would love if you would pray for me as I work my way through some scriptures to memorize.



No comments: