Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Invisible Person



I'm sure you've seen these signs...but the question I want to ask, is have you seen the people behind the signs?

I've been spending a lot of Thursday afternoons with a couple of my friends heading downtown Cincinnati to feed the homeless.  I have gotten to know a few of them.  I actually enjoy my time spent with them feeding them, praying with them and giving them some basic supplies to help them get through another day on the streets.

James 2:16English Standard Version (ESV)

16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[a] is that?

Love them where they are...you can't always change the situation they are in or help them out of it, you just need to love them where they are.  Meet their basic needs...feed them, clothe them, etc.


Don't judge a book by it's cover...I've heard people say things like "they have better shoes than I have, they aren't homeless" or "they have a cell phone, surely they aren't homeless"... let me put those phrases into perspective...what if that person had just came to where we were feeding the homeless and we gave them some shoes that were donated to us?  Then yes, their shoes could look brand new.  What about that phone?  Obama gives phones out...you can read about it here!  The list can go on and on.  





What I think is really sad...a lot of those homeless that we come across served our country...and now they live on the streets!  Think about all they have done for you...now what can you do for them?

So next time you see one of those signs, stop and look...look at the person behind the sign.  Smile, say "hi"...they are a person and just want to be seen!


Take a look at this video...


Will you see them??



No comments: